Lamb Meatballs + Eggplant Stew

Here I am visiting my buddy Joan of FOODalogue. Cooking in someone else’s kitchen is hard, but Joan and I have done this for a very long time. In the kitchen we are yin and yang.

Today we went to a food market in Boca Raton. Mr. E.G.G. Plant was very lonely leaning against a box and no one looked at him twice. I am the type of person that always goes for the runt of the litter, the underdog. I picked him up, carried him around wondering what I would do with him.

We stopped for a bite to eat at a German restaurant, had a few beers and contemplated his future.
EGGPLANT 031 beer edit

At hand I had the following ingredients:

Mr. E. G.G. Plant
salt/pepper to taste
1 yellow squash and 1 zucchini, cut into one inch pieces
1 tomato
3 shallots
3 garlic cloves
½ rosemary sprig
1 teaspoon dry thyme
1 teaspoon dry oregano
2-3 tablespoons of tomato alioli + 2-3 tablespoons basil pesto (made by Joan)
½ cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons of seasoning mix containing: sea salt, sweet paprika, sugar, cumin, fennel, brown sugar, coriander, mint, red chili flakes, cinnamon, cloves and cayenne pepper.
½ cup white wine
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce

Meatballs:
2 tablespoons of olive oil for frying meatballs
1 lb. ground lamb
2 teaspoons seasoning mix
Salt/pepper to taste
1 egg
¼ cup panko seasoned bread crumbs

Directions:
Heat oil, add meat balls, brown and set aside. In same pan add the shallots and garlic for a few minutes, add eggplant, squash and zucchini. Cook for about 5 minutes and then add all other ingredients. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.   Add meatballs. Cook for another 30 minutes.

We let this sit for a few hours, reheated, added the alioli for a an extra zing.

BUEN PROVECHO!

About these ads
This entry was posted in Meats. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Lamb Meatballs + Eggplant Stew

1. Joan Nova says:

I can whole-heartily attest to its deliciousness. I had it for dinner, lunch the next day and I squirreled a couple of containers in the freezer. Yes, when Norma cooks, an army can eat…I am that army since it was in my kitchen! :)

2. Erica says:

That looks amazing,Joan and Norma! That eggplant was huge!!!!!! I hope you are having a great time in Florida!

3. Very good choice Norma! I know you had a fantastic time in the sunny South!

4. noobcook says:

What a hearty looking meal! the home-made meat balls looked amazing with the stew.

5. Katie says:

That’s the funniest looking eggplant I’ve ever seen! I’m not sure I could bear to cook “him.” I would gobble up that stew and those meatballs in a heartbeat, though. Fabulous!

6. Liren says:

Aw, Mr. Plant, he certainly died for a good cause :) I can imagine the fun you and Joan are having together, and this dish is just drool worthy. I want this for dinner tonight!

7. Oh, I’m so jealous. Tell Joan hello. Cooking with your friend is such a treat and looks like you did a great job.

8. I see you’ve had great times with Joan! Ohh I wish lamb meatballs. Here this meat is near null…..and we’ve tons of lambs but for wool…

Cheers,

Gera

9. That eggplant is amazing and your dish looks fabulous! Now, I’m hungry.

Cheers,

Rosa

10. Poor Mr. E.G.G. Plant! But the end result looks delicious!

11. Lamb and eggplant, two of my favourite foods! And if you don’t mind me saying so, that eggplant is darn sexy! :)

12. Oh lucky girls !! Great dish..I’m hungry now8 (The first one is a marvellous photo!)

13. Victoria says:

Haha, your eggplant is so cute! You definitely did him justice with this dish :) It looks so yummy!

14. Awesome dish, looks delicious!

15. David says:

I have always wanted to love eggplant but it never comes out right when I cook it. I’ll give this a try and see if this works for me. You were very bold to walk around with such an odd vegetable!

16. Peiley says:

This recipe is amazing! I’ve had it bookmarked for a while now but didn’t have a chance to try it out until tonight. It was an instant hit with my family and I know I’ll be making it again soon. Feel free to take a look at my rendition of your dish at my blog post: http://peileyeats.blogspot.com/2012/09/some-days-you-just-really-crave.html Can’t wait to try more of your other dishes!

17. Madina Turysbekova says:

Wow! What an excellent dish!